THE FASTEST AND MOST RELIABLE TOOL FOR CHECKING YOUR
You’d agree that IP addresses are not an everyday topic. In fact, they are about as unconventional as the least talked about computer-related terms that there are.
As a result, your IP address is something you probably hardly look at. However, it is ever highly significant to your online lifestyle.
Significant in what aspect, you’d ask?
Well, for one, you wouldn’t be able to check your emails, see social media updates from your friends, or watch videos online without an IP address.
Every time you browse the internet, you’re actually ‘making requests’ for those pages whose URL you click on or enter.
Now without your IP address, websites like Google, Facebook, YouTube, and Toolslite.com wouldn’t know where to send the information you request. That is why it is called “address” because it is WHERE these sites send requested information to your computer.
But not only are IP addresses significant; it’s equally significant that you KNOW your IP address. And there are several reasons for this (which we will talk about later on down below).
The importance of knowing your IP address explains why we created this amazing tool, What is My IP address location.
WHAT IS AN IP ADDRESS ?
“IP” stands for “Internet Protocol.” And “protocol” here refers to the connectivity regulations and guidelines that govern computer networks.
The “address” part of IP address refers to a unique set of numbers linked to all your internet activities.
Putting all this together, an Internet Protocol address is a string of unique numeric identifier separated by periods, and carried by every device in a network. This includes every single computer, router, modem, printer, switch, and any other device that is part of a TCP/IP-based network.
This address makes up the core component upon which the networking architecture is built and no network exists without it.
An IP address is not something you sign up for; once you’re online, you’re automatically assigned an active IP address by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An active IP address is necessary for you to access the internet.
And note this: IP addresses are not assigned to people, but to computers.
WHY CHECK FOR AN IP ADDRESS ?
Many people check IP addresses for several different reasons peculiar to their individualized context. But here are the few most common reasons why you might look up your IP address:
- For security purposes: You want to be sure that you are in safe hands when it comes to your internet connections. Knowing your IP puts you a step ahead in that direction.
- To determine the IP address of a website you want to build backlinks from: If you have numerous links coming from websites using the same IP address (common with link networks), the quality of those links will go down.
- For the record: If you’ve been using the same computer and internet connection in a while, it is okay to have a glance at what your IP address might look like.
- To know if your computer is sending out the right information about you: If your computer sends out the wrong information, you’ll likely be served inappropriate information. That’s where conflict of exchange lies.
- To know where your internet activity is emanating from: Your IP address is akin to your physical address or mailbox address. You wouldn’t want to live in London while all your incoming and outgoing messages and activities are “said” to be emanating from Toronto, right?
- To forward as a request for tech support: At times, a trusted company may request to know your IP address in order to be able to assist you better in some way.
- IP addresses are also important to things like online gaming, remote desktop applications, and proxy detection.